First signing of the summer?

An interesting interview on Torquay website with the manager Johnson in relation to the comings and goings at the club and reasons why some have decided not to resign.

(01-06-2022, 10:33 AM)Daveangel Wrote:  Considering he was offered a contract at NL level, I can’t see him dropping to a standard below ours. Kiddy only up the road and splashing the cash, and Bath have the Gill/C********m connection. I’d love to see him in a City shirt though!

He would if a team was offering some serious cash.

Who would be offering serious cash at a level below us in the local area?

(01-06-2022, 03:20 PM)Kitto Wrote:  Who would be offering serious cash at a level below us in the local area?
I think they key is him saying “closer to home and/or lesser training schedule” that doesn’t say he wants to be in the local area. Torquay is 2.25hrs & 130miles away, so a 1.5hr commute each way 2 days a week plus match day is still a massive area.

The much travelled Scott Boden released by Boreham Wood. Ex Torquay Newport to name but a few. Decent goal scoring record.

Regarding Wright, remember when we all clamouring for Craig Reid. Careful what you wish for

I only clamoured because I thought it was the one out of The Proclaimers.

Sticking around a while yet, thanks to a gift from a generous angel.

(01-06-2022, 04:15 PM)OldDirtyGlasses Wrote:  I think they key is him saying “closer to home and/or lesser training schedule” that doesn’t say he wants to be in the local area. Torquay is 2.25hrs & 130miles away, so a 1.5hr commute each way 2 days a week plus match day is still a massive area.

100% been watching episodes of Dorking Uncovered and a lot of their best players are part timers who seem happy to a take a nice cheque to travel to come to work Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Most of them have a trade or self employed so can work pretty good around the schedule. A lot of there players seem to be on the South Coast so still a couple of hours to work but to be honest I doubt Dorking are short changing them.

(03-06-2022, 12:21 PM)sctippins Wrote:  100% been watching episodes of Dorking Uncovered and a lot of their best players are part timers who seem happy to a take a nice cheque to travel to come to work Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Most of them have a trade or self employed so can work pretty good around the schedule. A lot of there players seem to be on the South Coast so still a couple of hours to work but to be honest I doubt Dorking are short changing them.
Jason Prior's a good example of that. I notice he's just signed for Havant...maybe Dorking are planning to go full time now they're in the NL?

Well with 5 weeks until the first friendly & 9 weeks & a day until the first league fixture we will hopefully soon start seeing some confirmed incomings, obviously the last playoff fixture & subsequent 7-day window for retained list publication will have a knock-on effect to a degree, but we don’t really want a last minute rush.