Covid

With the latest covid variant on the rise again,with hospital admissions on the rise with 8,000 now per week !  Will the league be disrupted again . Most people know the omnicom variant is not so deadly or so debilitating  as the first out brake of covid but it could change with another change in the virus .I wonder if the management of the N L have made any plans  if things have to change ?
The way things are going it could be another  disrupted season IMO.
Hope not but not holding my breath as it's not over till it's over.

I may be wrong but I think the trend with these things on each revision tends to be that they are more transmissible but less deadly.
I can't really get my head round how a virus has any capability as such but it doesn't want to kill everyone as it would also die out, it wants to infect as many people as possible and the trade off with transmissibility is it's less virulent.
That said, the people who have this now that I know seem to feel pretty ill with it

(01-07-2022, 07:40 PM)Nigeglos Wrote:  I may be wrong but I think the trend with these things on each revision tends to be that they are more transmissible but less deadly.
I can't really get my head round how a virus has any capability as such but it doesn't want to kill everyone as it would also die out, it wants to infect as many people as possible and the trade off with transmissibility is it's less virulent.
That said, the people who have this now that I know seem to feel pretty ill with it
That's exactly it. Infectivity increases but severity decreases over time so that the virus can survive and reproduce, which is what all living organisms aim to do. It's a survival mechanism. There's also some evidence that infection with the current variants doesn't boost immunity and it's capable of breaking through 'full immunisation' (3 doses as I'm not yet over 75).
From personal experience I can confirm that the current illness is like a bad flu and is quite debilitating.