New Manager....

A manager Who has done well in leagues below wont be as expensive as someone proven at this level, bit like when Chesterfield took Rowe, We would now become the Chesterfield.
Any management appointment is a gamble as even the best fail.

(10-05-2023, 01:45 PM)Paul Wrote:  If we went for someone local, I'd be looking at Mike Cook. With AP leaving, and if Mike was interested, he knows what it takes at this level. With a rookie you don't know what you're getting. True, you might get the next big thing, but that's a big chance to take.
This.

(10-05-2023, 01:48 PM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  A manager Who has done well in leagues below wont be as expensive as someone proven at this level, bit like when Chesterfield took Rowe, We would now become the Chesterfield.
Any management appointment is a gamble as even the best fail.

This.
Cook may well be able to get the former City players home as well for a nucleus.....

Mike Cook all day long

10 out of 10 for footballing zen

(10-05-2023, 01:48 PM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  Any management appointment is a gamble as even the best fail.

You are absolutely right- however like any other profession u have to have the tools to do the job you have been tasked with and in football terms a decent workable budget. I think it was mentioned on another thread about the drop in season ticket sales- you have to put something on the park to attract potential punters not mediocrity.

(10-05-2023, 09:23 AM)Paul Wrote:  Some of the names mentioned, after losing SK, it's going from the sublime to the ridiculous. Whoever is appointed, SK has shown that it needs to be someone with a wide field of good contacts. I really hope that the local players mention is just about developing young local talent as part of a wider strategy and not about drawing from a limited regional pool of players as seemed to be the case with LM. 

If the Chambers are really serious about promotion to NL in three seasons (any new owner will make such a statement) , then it needs to be someone experienced at this level, not giving it to a rookie and asking them to work with regional players - that way lies disaster. It won't be NL in three seasons, it'll be SL. Let's hope that our new owners are astute enough to make the right appointment.

Well  we knew that we could not hang on to the best manager that we have had at the club for many ,many. years so a massive
thanks for leaving our club in our highest position  in our history, and hope where ever club you go to next you continue to be success full .
Thank you once again for showing that with the right personnel we can be successful ,and what the fans have been missing for so long.,exciting football to watch .
Good luck to you and all your staff .

(10-05-2023, 02:06 PM)Severnside Wrote:  Cook may well be able to get the former City players home as well for a nucleus.....

Do we really want to sign ex city players that were let go or left for pastures new ?I would hate to go backwards when we have now know what sort of player's we need to get to the club successful .Can not think of any of city ex player's from say five or six years that could have got into last seasons team , We need better players then we used to sign otherwise we will fighting relegation for the next thirteen years 
Cook did we'll with us and was surprised when he went ,so maybe a consideration.
A big plus for me would be for this club to get some stability , something we have not had for quite a few years .
Good luck with that Patrick &  Nicky.

(10-05-2023, 02:59 PM)Grey beard Wrote:  Well  we knew that we could not hang on to the best manager that we have had at the club for many ,many. years so a massive
thanks for leaving our club in our highest position  in our history, and hope where ever club you go to next you continue to be success full .
Thank you once again for showing that with the right personnel we can be successful ,and what the fans have been missing for so long.,exciting football to watch .
Good luck to you and all your staff .

Do we really want to sign ex city players that were let go or left for pastures new ?I would hate to go backwards when we have now know what sort of player's we need to get to the club successful .Can not think of any of city ex player's from say five or six years that could have got into last seasons team , We need better players then we used to sign otherwise we will fighting relegation for the next thirteen years 
Cook did we'll with us and was surprised when he went ,so maybe a consideration.
A big plus for me would be for this club to get some stability , something we have not had for quite a few years .
Good luck with that Patrick &  Nicky.
Joe Hanks, Luke Thomas, Ed Williams, Jojo/Jeacock, and possibly Russe and Parselle.

(10-05-2023, 03:41 PM)charlie Wrote:  Joe Hanks, Luke Thomas, Ed Williams, Jojo/Jeacock, and possibly Russe and Parselle.

They might fit in terms of the budget but as Greybeard says “ how many ex players would have fitted ( or be better than - that’s my words not GB) into last season’s team. Imo none would be a totally retrograde step.

(10-05-2023, 02:59 PM)Grey beard Wrote:  Cook did we'll with us and was surprised when he went ,so maybe a consideration.
I think AP was a possibly too hands-on for MC? And there was a personality clash. He certainly knows this level. Whether he'd be interested in applying after his previous time with us is something else, although he did say that he wasn't given enough time to finish the job:  https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp...sh-3547133

If you know anyone... https://www.gloucestercityafc.com/post/a...RT4sUuCiaA

(10-05-2023, 04:37 PM)Gladfans Wrote:  They might fit in terms of the budget but as Greybeard says “ how many ex players would have fitted ( or be better than - that’s my words not GB) into last season’s team. Imo none would be a totally retrograde step.
When Ben Morgan came back some people felt he was a backwards step. We signed Owen Evans from the level below and Phillips and Spence were released by Bristol Rovers. Dada was a cast off at Hemel.

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”

(10-05-2023, 05:12 PM)Tigermatty 2.0 Wrote:  When Ben Morgan came back some people felt he was a backwards step. We signed Owen Evans from the level below and Phillips and Spence were released by Bristol Rovers. Dada was a cast off at Hemel.
Dom not good enough for Telford, Hanks etc made the play offs, we had good players but not 11 of them.
Scott Wilson was another...