Chelt Races

Pompey players were there, lots of them infected, Charlie Austin convinced he got it at the races

(01-04-2020, 08:33 PM)OldDirtyGlasses Wrote:  Pompey players were there, lots of them infected, Charlie Austin convinced he got it at the races

He didn't even actually have it. 

His test was negative, but the Sun used their usual artistic licence! 

Sticking around a while yet, thanks to a gift from a generous angel.

Incorrect, he wasn’t tested for it so has not tested negative.
On the advice of a doctor his symptoms were assumed to be Coronavirus so he self isolated.
Not the Sun, Charlie Austin’s mouth.

Just seen that's what he Tweeted. Smile

Sticking around a while yet, thanks to a gift from a generous angel.

Looking forward to Darran's thoughts when he finds the thread

Well the Government said they could race so they did. If the Government had told them not to then they wouldn't have done. What I would say though was that Friday felt very different. I was at work in MK trying to do my job whilst other sports are calling off their events all over the place. After what Boris said on the Thursday it suddenly changed things, but it would have been pointless calling the Friday off. Plenty of people will already be in C********m anyway and even if you go behind closed doors you still would have had people turning up trying to watch. People who were there on the Friday did notice a change in atmosphere though. As Shandy says it would have been devastating for the local economy had it not gone ahead and that money could be crucial for them given the situation we are in now.

As for people thinking they may have got it C********m, unless you knew for certain you were there with someone who got it then you wouldn't have a bloody clue where you got it from. I was travelling on a packed Tube everyday of the C********m Festival plus busy trains from MK to Euston and I probably had more chance of getting it than people at C********m.

I have a much bigger issue with the fact Liverpool played a team from Madrid on the Wednesday night given it was pretty rife over there at the time and that should never have gone ahead with fans from Spain. I also don't really understand why the BHA allowed Saturday's meetings to be run with a crowd as you had nearly 10k at Uttoxeter that day.

(01-04-2020, 01:58 PM)SHANDY LOVE MACHINE Wrote:  I had my reservations at the time, I was moaning on other threads

Looking at the County cases compared to similar neighbouring areas it is a bit higher but not as high as I would have expected if the infection was coursing through the race gatherers. So not sure it has made a massive difference. I think the economic value to local businesses just about to face a lockdown also has to be considered - this has been the difficult balance that the government has been facing all over the country.

Most racegoers wouldn't be from the area, but obviously a lot of them would have stayed there so you would expect that if they had it they would have passed it on to people in the area in bars, restaurants, hotels etc and that seems not to have happened from what you are saying.

Well, I thought there would be an explosion in cases afterwards because of the fact people were bringing it in to the local area and not just attending the event, but staying over for 4 days, bars, restaurants etc. Some weeks on we are not the non-cockney centre of the outbreak that I thought we might become. Not to say it hasn't had some effect, but feels more like the right decision to me now, I was against it at the time.

Can horses catch it Darran.

And can humans catch equine flu?

10 out of 10 for footballing zen

I’m no medical expert but myself and Corporate Col was there everyday watching the no sock and short trousers brigades come flooding in and we both said this was a disaster waiting to happen.. Money talks tho...

All these people saying they caught coronavirus at the races knew it was possible so should have stayed at home if they were that worried

(01-04-2020, 08:13 AM)GME Wrote:  Should never have happened

As someone who has spent the past 3 weeks working 10 hour days tracking CoViD-19 cases in Gloucestershire and predicting the demand for hospitals beds in the coming months, I can confirm that the above opinion is true.