What is our level?

I've even had my old man tell me it's a rugby City before now. He has absolutely no basis to say that, no proof. Head made of polystyrene.

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20242025.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php

(07-02-2024, 11:44 PM)Darran Wrote:  If we had gone down with Patrick still at the club I think we would have achieved this. 
This is what I think,he should have been backed by the fans Who wanted them out,It was clear to see they had good intentions, An opportunity Lost.

(08-02-2024, 12:51 AM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  This is what I think,he should have been backed by the fans Who wanted them out,It was clear to see they had good intentions, An opportunity Lost.

Yes and those fans who wanted them out will hopefully at some point realise they backed the wrong person. Sadly the club has to suffer the consequences for those actions though.

Recently I watched The Chase on TV & Bradley asked a lady contestant from Gloucester a rather simple (to me) question on Football. She got it wrong so B gave her the stare. She replied like 'Sorry but Gloucester is a Rugby city'.

Got back home at last but it's all gone pear shaped again..

Gloucester RFC are currently 9th in the English Premiership - that makes them the 9th best team in England. They have finished top of the league 3 times in this century. That made them the best team in England at that time. None of that is to be sniffed at, rather should be celebrated. Kingsholm staged several matches in the World Cup Finals in 2015. Gloucester most definitely IS a rugby city despite how far we stick our heads down in the sand (that's the polite version).

Exeter RFC, on the other hand, came from nowhere and achieved success due to one man and his money - Tony Rowe and his South West Telecommunications Company. Despite their (new) ground and successes their attendances still do not still do not match Gloucester's. Northampton do not better them either.

I have supported Gloucester City since 1954 when we were in the original Southern League, arguably the strongest league outside of the EFL at that time, certainly in the South of England, and able to hold their own there too. Unfortunately as the 'money-men' began to get involved and have an influence  Gloucester City got left behind somewhat, and have really struggled to keep up ever since.

As regards 'what league etc.', we are where we are with the current players and set-up we have, with the correct set-up I think definitely could/should be a decent National League club. EFL would be a step too far IMO, unless Gloucester RFC were to go bust!

Define ‘rugby city’

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”

The vast majority of the rugby season ticket holders are outside a GL1/2/3/4 postcode too.

(08-02-2024, 10:27 AM)Delta Papa Wrote:  Gloucester RFC are currently 9th in the English Premiership - that makes them the 9th best team in England. They have finished top of the league 3 times in this century. That made them the best team in England at that time. None of that is to be sniffed at, rather should be celebrated. Kingsholm staged several matches in the World Cup Finals in 2015. Gloucester most definitely IS a rugby city despite how far we stick our heads down in the sand (that's the polite version).

Exeter RFC, on the other hand, came from nowhere and achieved success due to one man and his money - Tony Rowe and his South West Telecommunications Company. Despite their (new) ground and successes their attendances still do not still do not match Gloucester's. Northampton do not better them either.

I have supported Gloucester City since 1954 when we were in the original Southern League, arguably the strongest league outside of the EFL at that time, certainly in the South of England, and able to hold their own there too. Unfortunately as the 'money-men' began to get involved and have an influence  Gloucester City got left behind somewhat, and have really struggled to keep up ever since.

As regards 'what league etc.', we are where we are with the current players and set-up we have, with the correct set-up I think definitely could/should be a decent National League club. EFL would be a step too far IMO, unless Gloucester RFC were to go bust!

Northampton average a thousand more fans than Glaaws this season.

Sticking around a while yet, thanks to a gift from a generous angel.

Another factor is that it wasn't so long ago that the county itself had no EFL team, so the reference to a rugby city could refer to the whole county in terms of trying to get people to support their local football team. But yes, there is something about the 'rugby city' mantra being culturally ingrained in the local public. I'd imagine Bath City suffer the same problem. 

Back in the day, if you were interested in watching football, people then - and still do now, generally affiliate themselves to a successful PL club. L1 & L2 are Mickey Mouse football - and our level may as well be parks football in the eyes of the Gloucester public.

We only grow our attendance numbers by being successful.I believe we could get good gates if we were in NL or L2, but getting there and staying there seem to be beyond our reach. Several posts on this thread have hit the nail on the head about the owners and their investment in the stadium as the block to future success. I can understand that they want a return on that, who wouldn't, but until that hurdle has been overcome and there is new investment we're going to be SL or clinging on at this level, neither of which are going to enthuse the local public to tear themselves away from Glaws or armchair PL.

The biggest impact the rugby has is that it attracts the bulk of local sponsorship. In a lot of the tinpot places we play they are the only local sports team - take Hereford for example. We’ll only progress if we can unlock the commercial side of things from local businesses.

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”