George Carline

As others have said, I think we are better off. If the rumours about him refusing to play are true then it's no big loss. It's just not something we've been used to at the club before.
What some of these players need to remember are that they were all part of a team that failed to beat Christchurch in the FA Cup but some believe their own hype.

I'm glad we've still got the likes of Liam Daly, Matt McClure etc. who have character and are the ones that you want fighting in the trenches with you.

I would like to see JR and Asante do well but it must be in the back of their new club's minds that if they do have a successful few months then it might not be long until they are poached by league club and then they will be back to square one.

Like I have said before Your word should be your bond. Yes I may be old fashioned but all involved with this, the players and the ex Manager should take a good look at themselves

Forgive my naivety on this, and I'm very happy to be corrected, but severing a contract does not mean your registration is released. Ultimately, even though the contract has been cancelled, Gloucester would still hold the player's registration.

If players start severing their contracts because they want to circumvent a contract between Chesterfield and Gloucester, then I would suggest that's acting in bad faith, and Chesterfield signing any player who is registered with Gloucester would still need to pay Gloucester compensation.

(04-12-2020, 11:22 AM)Rob K Wrote:  Like I have said before Your word should be your bond. Yes I may be old fashioned but all involved with this, the players and the ex Manager should take a good look at themselves
Problem is they won't see anything wrong

(04-12-2020, 11:02 AM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  Excuse my ignorance but what consequences does a
player face if he “severs” his contract? Sounds like he just said he wants out, unfortunately we’re not in a position to let freeze him out like a premier league side would do by not playing him.

If a player doesn't want to be at City then I'm happy they be shown the door.  As you say, we cannot afford to freeze them out as happens so frequently with Premiership clubs.

(04-12-2020, 11:40 AM)Si Robin Wrote:  Forgive my naivety on this, and I'm very happy to be corrected, but severing a contract does not mean your registration is released.  Ultimately, even though the contract has been cancelled, Gloucester would still hold the player's registration.

If players start severing their contracts because they want to circumvent a contract between Chesterfield and Gloucester, then I would suggest that's acting in bad faith, and Chesterfield signing any player who is registered with Gloucester would still need to pay Gloucester compensation.
I’ve no knowledge of what’s gone on but I think we’ve just acted in the best way to nip this in the bud as early as possible rather than it dragging on. If we aren’t bothered about compensation, and we just want to move on and not have players who don’t want to play and unwanted distractions, then let him go and be done with it

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”

Don't get me wrong, it is great being top of the league, but...
I am missing the days when we had local lads who clearly cared about the club who you knew would put a shift in, even if they weren't technically the best. I'd rather have a team of Hanks/Parker/Hamilton and finish 12th, than some of the mercenaries we have at the moment and finish top half.

It is all very well splashing the cash on big players, but if they are only here for the money (I'm not falling for that 'excited about the project' nonsense), as soon as someone with more money comes along they'll be off.

(04-12-2020, 12:06 PM)Bobby Wrote:  Don't get me wrong, it is great being top of the league, but...
I am missing the days when we had local lads who clearly cared about the club who you knew would put a shift in, even if they weren't technically the best. I'd rather have a team of Hanks/Parker/Hamilton and finish 12th, than some of the mercenaries we have at the moment and finish top half.

It is all very well splashing the cash on big players, but if they are only here for the money (I'm not falling for that 'excited about the project' nonsense), as soon as someone with more money comes along they'll be off.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not missing those days at all personally. The local lads were lovely blokes, but 10 years of relation battles, reducing attendances, and expecting to lose very Saturday was wearing pretty thin by the end! 

I wondered if this change would see us attract a bunch of mercenaries, but having seen the attitude and passion of players like of Matt McClure, Gavin Gunning, and Liam Daly I reckon the majority are in it for the long haul and are dedicated to the cause.

(04-12-2020, 11:44 AM)Andrew R Wrote:  If a player doesn't want to be at City then I'm happy they be shown the door.  As you say, we cannot afford to freeze them out as happens so frequently with Premiership clubs.

So a contract is worth nothing then for the club?
Only the players benefits as they have security until something better comes along.

I reckon Darren being a bookie should run a book on who is the next to go.