Which was your first game supporting Gloucester?

Probably some time in 1985, as my dad keeps telling me how I ran on the pitch as a two year old. Was then a regular until the mid to late 90s, stopping when I started to play men's football.  Our return to gloucester coincided with me being "too old" to play anymore, so the first game of my return to the stands would be the Market Needham game.

Salisbury City away, FA Cup 2016. Not anywhere near as long as many of you, but I got there in the end. In fact last year was the first time in my life I'd watched a game of professional football in Gloucester. 

After a trawl of Tiger Roar, I've tracked down my first game to 23rd September 1995 for an FA Cup 2nd qualifying round defeat to Cinderford Town. Something made me go back, and the next couple of years were one hell of a ride! 

The club's exile from Gloucester pretty much mirrors my own time living away from the City, as did the timing of my return. So 26 years later I find myself once again standing on the T-End, and glad to see a lot of familiar (if slightly older) faces around. To everyone that kept the club alive during the exile years you have my gratitude and admiration. Without you all there would be no Gloucester City today.

Can't remember the precise match now, but it would have been during the 1954/55 season when I was in my last year at Longlevens Junior School. Soon became a regular though, watching 1st team in SL and the Reserves in WL on alternate weeks. One match I particularly remember was the SL Cup Final 2nd leg in 1956. Had loads of programmes from that era too, but my mother threw them all out when I left home to get married.

(26-11-2021, 10:13 AM)Delta Papa Wrote:  Can't remember the precise match now, but it would have been during the 1954/55 season when I was in my last year at Longlevens Junior School. Soon became a regular though, watching 1st team in SL and the Reserves in WL on alternate weeks. One match I particularly remember was the SL Cup Final 2nd leg in 1956. Had loads of programmes from that era too, but my mother threw them all out when I left home to get married.

A bit extreme  I'd say?just because you were getting married , mums ha ? bless them .

(26-11-2021, 03:57 PM)Grey beard Wrote:  A bit extreme  I'd say?just because you were getting married , mums ha ? bless them .
Indeed. I can remember my Grandfather offering to take me to see City play Tottenham Hotspur in 1952, but Mum said I was too young (I was 8!). Grandfather went himself and told me all about it afterwards, City won 2-1 before a record crowd of over 10K. Later on though he was allowed to take me to Kingsholm, Longlevens Greyhound Stadium, and Prestbury Park.

Not my first match, but I do remember going with Rob K to Whaddon Road to watch City get hammered 5-1 in the FA Cup by C******scum, (5th October 1982). Prior to that I had been to Horton Road with Rob K on a number of occasions, but never saw them win there - best was a 1-1 draw, if I remember correctly.

Didn't start going frequently until the Tigers moved to Meadow Park - my son wanted to watch football regularly so I started bringing him and a friend to watch City.

20th December 1994 and it was 3-3 vs. Gresley Rovers - quite the goal fest for my first game. Was my 619th City game this last weekend, so I'm now 100 behind Tom Webb!

28th December 1992, a 4-0 defeat away at C********m Town. Myself and a few school friends got the bus over from Gloucester and had a couple of underage pints in the Sudeley Arms (we were all 16 or 17 at the time) beforehand.

Not only a chastening defeat but to add insult to injury upon getting back to Gloucester we'd missed the last bus so I had to walk home from town to Abbeydale.

I can't recall attending many more games after that, there were probably a handful but I then started attending semi-regularly in about 2004/5 as something to do on a Saturday with my son who was 4/5, he'd wander around the lower steps of the old T-End whilst I tried to keep one eye on him and one eye on the game.

i came to the York game at Evesham in August 2019 as a neutral as I was in C********m on holiday and fancied a local game - I had a good chat with Mr Petheram who talked about his plans for the club and the move back home. I started following the club ever since and I would have been a season ticket holder by now had i not been waiting for a huge operation which has now had more dates than me!!!