Favorite player and why

(31-05-2020, 09:31 PM)drbob Wrote:  Only 44 years watching, regularly for only 32 years, so my selection is more limited than Gladfans.

If forced to choose one player it has to be the legendary Webby. Took him ages to get his first goal for City (at Woking), but even then always gave everything for the shirt and that continued right up to his retirement.

But there are so many others. I've picked a few by position that haven't already been mentioned.

Goal keeper: Dave ("Shape!") Mogg

Wing back: Adie Harris - fast, tricky. (His goal at Woking seemed to be in slow motion)

Centre back: Nigel Green & Geoff Hancocks - old fashioned, no nonsense defenders

Midfield: Alex Sykes - haven't seen a better striker of the dead ball in a City shirt.

Striker: Lance Morrison - always seemed to have too much for the opposing defenders. (Closely followed by Adie Mings and Andy Hoskins, who were both likely to put the keeper in the net along with the ball).

Oops! Forgot to mention Wayne Noble - will always remember his netbuster against C********m, that put them out of the cup and cost Murphy his job.

(01-06-2020, 11:21 AM)Tiger Andy Wrote:  Frankly a toss up between ADRIAN GERALD HARRIS and ADIE MINGS. Also, the obese and generally incompetent goalkeeper ANDY COOK is up there as well...
Was he the goalkeeper that played against Shepshed Dynamo at Meadow Park where we lost 5-1? As the goals went in, I can recall one or two supporters laughing. I recall this game being played on Saturday 8th September 2001, as the following Tuesday, 9/11 took place.

Andrew Adebowale, Hannah, Hoskins, Kirkup, Mainwaring, Tucker, Wollen.
 Danny ANDREW, Jake ANDREWS.

(02-06-2020, 05:18 PM)Pims manager again Wrote:  It’s a difficult question this as over the years we have had our fair share of quality in all departments.
Takes a lot to beat Lance Morrison, gangly legs great skill and could put the ball away.
Most players who have played for us might not have had the greatest technical ability but performance every week would be outstanding.Nigel Green, Martin Lander, Baylo I could go on.
Loved magic Morrison but so disappointed I mist his  over head kick to score in front of the T_END? Had to go for a quick slash but not quite quick enough.heard shout go up and tried to get out to of the bog and eighty pissed my. self my Mr,s told me  I just missed the best goal magic ever scored?the morel of the story is make sur you shake before you put it a way because you would have all ready missed what ever you were rushing for??Now at my age I can't rush any more and piss my self any way?

Thanks for the pissing tips Grey, as a man of a certain age I understand your dilemma.

It was a wondrous moment, and in the days of very little live match media, is almost certainly without permanent record.

In the spirit of the Baddiel and Skinner's fantasy football programme I am happy to recreate it for you. However, I will need to book 3 days off work with a bad back to follow. Maybe some of you young uns can create some of our magic goals down the park and post them on here. Starting off with Matt Rose goal v Farnborough, as talking about missing key moments, I was 300 miles away in Rotherham!

10 out of 10 for footballing zen

(04-06-2020, 01:27 PM)SHANDY LOVE MACHINE Wrote:  Thanks for the pissing tips Grey, as a man of a certain age I understand your dilemma.

It was a wondrous moment, and in the days of very little live match media, is almost certainly without permanent record.

In the spirit of the Baddiel and Skinner's fantasy football programme I am happy to recreate it for you. However, I will need to book 3 days off work with a bad back to follow. Maybe some of you young uns can create some of our magic goals down the park and post them on here. Starting off with Matt Rose goal v Farnborough, as talking about missing key moments, I was 300 miles away in Rotherham!
If a young lad or a young girl(see I,m not sexist)ever saw Brian Hughes score a  goal at sub meadow rd end quite a few years a go would  be a sight to see again? The ball was crossed from the left wing  about 3ft off the ground and Hughes's just ran on to the ball, rose off the ground with both feet and stroked the ball with the side of his right foot the ball went in the net like a rocket WHAT A G O A L.

(04-06-2020, 05:30 PM)Grey beard Wrote:  If a young lad or a young girl(see I,m not sexist)ever saw Brian Hughes score a  goal at sub meadow rd end quite a few years a go would  be a sight to see again? The ball was crossed from the left wing  about 3ft off the ground and Hughes's just ran on to the ball, rose off the ground with both feet and stroked the ball with the side of his right foot the ball went in the net like a rocket WHAT A G O A L.would be about the age to do it now ,if remembered?

(04-06-2020, 05:30 PM)Grey beard Wrote:  ...the ball went in the net like a rocket WHAT A G O A L.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhlx43rTs2Q

(04-06-2020, 05:30 PM)Grey beard Wrote:  If a young lad or a young girl(see I,m not sexist)ever saw Brian Hughes score a  goal at sub meadow rd end quite a few years a go would  be a sight to see again? The ball was crossed from the left wing  about 3ft off the ground and Hughes's just ran on to the ball, rose off the ground with both feet and stroked the ball with the side of his right foot the ball went in the net like a rocket WHAT A G O A L.

I just asked him, he can't remember it. If I were to guess though I recall a goal in the 4-0 FA Cup win against Mangotsfield that started us on the road to Cardiff, one of my very first games.

Well Brian must be getting on. a bit no wonder but I remember be leave it Brian it was a cracker. It was a long long time a go but I remember like it was yester day it was a well taken goal

I can remember Hughesy scoring a very important winner in our Championship season at home to Bilston. We had been stuttering in the league a bit and games were running out and were 0-1 down going into the last minute. Won 2-1 and we didn't look back after that.

Could it be this one?

10 out of 10 for footballing zen

(04-06-2020, 10:22 PM)SHANDY LOVE MACHINE Wrote:  I can remember Hughesy scoring a very important winner in our Championship season at home to Bilston. We had been stuttering in the league a bit and games were running out and were 0-1 down going into the last minute. Won 2-1 and we didn't look back after that.

Could it be this one?
Really not sure if league , cup  or what ever  but I was  dead in line when he stroked with the in side of his boot?