Gloucester Rugby’s Jack Clement says there’s no football club in Gloucester

(15-01-2024, 06:22 PM)Neil Wrote:  If only we could avoid relegation like the rugby club do.
It would make all of this easier, wouldn't it?

It's all very well bemoaning a lot of this, but its also the reality we live in.  No one is going to come and change it for us, so you have to change it yourselves don't you. 

And for me this is where the removal/resignation of PC and NC will be most keenly felt. They did genuinely seem to have a marketing strategy and plan to try and get a bit more traction.  

The burgers became a massively divisive issue (god knows why), but what else have the club done that generated anywhere near that level of online interest before.

I still don't understand how a burger can divide a fanbase. It appeared to be a tasty burger and was a sensation.

(15-01-2024, 07:10 PM)HeathBrewer Wrote:  I still don't understand how a burger can divide a fanbase. It appeared to be a tasty burger and was a sensation.

You would have to ask those fans who were so anti it as to why because to the rest of us it made little sense.

(15-01-2024, 07:15 PM)Darran Wrote:  You would have to ask those fans who were so anti it as to why because to the rest of us it made little sense.
It was just really crazy. If more people attended games over a burger, so be it. Whatever makes the turnstiles operate more frequently, so long as it isn't immoral or anti family.

(15-01-2024, 07:10 PM)HeathBrewer Wrote:  I still don't understand how a burger can divide a fanbase. It appeared to be a tasty burger and was a sensation.
Burgergate. The Chambers held a talk with supporters when they first took over. Basically it was about improving facilities, including the catering as part of a plan to grow support. Because  burgers were mentioned (their food offerings at the previous club were held in high regard) some people sadly latched onto it as a derogatory theme to knock the Chambers when results on the pitch didn't reflect the quality of the burgers.

(15-01-2024, 06:22 PM)Neil Wrote:  If only we could avoid relegation like the rugby club do.

No thank you, where's the jeopardy in that.

Same clubs every year nothing to play for from October onwards when you are out of the title race. No promotion, no play offs. Boring.
No wonder the game is on its arse. Through its collective protectionism, the top division have bit themselves on the arse. Little to get all but the hardcore rugby fans interested enough or attract enough of the the next generation, so the cash is drying up and the game cannot move to the next 'level'.

10 out of 10 for footballing zen

(15-01-2024, 07:44 PM)Paul Wrote:  Burgergate. The Chambers held a talk with supporters when they first took over. Basically it was about improving facilities, including the catering as part of a plan to grow support. Because  burgers were mentioned (their food offerings at the previous club were held in high regard) some people sadly latched onto it as a derogatory theme to knock the Chambers when results on the pitch didn't reflect the quality of the burgers.
I remember the whole mess,  but improving the experience for people who buy tickets is part of how you grow a club. To think that was going to produce results in the pitch in short term was insane. The cut in financing and therefore poor recruiting...

I absolutely understand the club needed to be sustainable. This transition has just not gone well at all.

Years ago I did try but rugby just leaves me cold. 20 blokes in a pile on the floor and no sign of the ball. Cheering on a throw in. Too many mustard chord jean types.
There is clearly potential for a well run football club to prosper in the City despite the other game. Those hardy long suffering fans I've got to know, turn up win or lose because it's a habit. The" friendly club" angle did take some stick but ultimately it's up to all of us to make everyone feel included, whether they're an old fart like me in the CUBS or aT- Ender waving a flag and dreaming of a bigger stand. Recently it's felt like there's too much infighting between sections of the support as to who are the "real fans". Ultimately it's all b* ll*cks.
Turn up, stand or sit where you fancy but make everyone around you feel part of it, so they'll want to come back. I think that's the only way to grow.

I've tried rugby multiple times over my 51 years and it just never caught. Actually, I find it to be a nonsensical game. I only watch proper football anymore and have become an English football snob... same with cars and friends, to be perfectly honest.