What is our level?

Having been through the ups and downs on the Argyle rollercoaster over the years I would expect Gloucester to be an established NL N/S side given the size of captive audience in the city. I don't know the history of the other sides in the 'shire but FGR definitely don't belong in the EFL, whereas, whenever the proper Green Army have been in and around C********m it's also felt like we are polar opposites.

I'm born to support the biggest city that have never had a top flight team and as I've grown up with them I think our 'rightful place' has slowly been eroded from mid Championship to top end of League 1 as the traditional big clubs have been joined by more and more self proclaimed big teams who have benefitted from Premier League money.

Should the inevitable happen and SLP be the next seasons offering then it wouldn't be a walk in the park nor an attractive prospect for the casual and/or neutral so I hope the crowds don't dwindle too much.

When I travel away with England there are more and more supporters who have been disenfranchised with the Premier League and EFL clubs instead choosing to follow Non League just a shame there aren't more in the local area who choose to follow the Tigers as opposed clubs playing the NLS.#

I certainly don't know enough about the off field issues with GCAFC but what is clear is the need for a reset and subsequent new direction. What I do hear isn't positive and instil a confidence that the club is being run in the correct manner.

There is so much potential but it needs to be tapped into correctly and opportunities exploited, thankfully with the 4G surface they don't experience the issues that Truro City experience with postponements as part of the ground share with Plymouth Parkway as that would kill the club.

Only positive I can potentially see from a drop to the SLP is that there might be a shorter queue for food Wink

Great thread with some excellent posts.

As a relatively new supporter I’ve mused on this on and off.  I find it a bit difficult to see past NLN/S. Despite the size of the city, the dominance of the rugby club feels like a massive blocker to a lot of our ambitions, and it’s hard to see how to overcome that.  And the club’s history doesn’t really indicate we’re knocking on the door of NL.

Exeter has the same population as us, a better rugby club and a League One football team.

(07-02-2024, 10:26 PM)Kitto Wrote:  Exeter has the same population as us, a better rugby club and a League One football team.

Their rugby club is supported from much further afield in the South West than just the EX postcode due to the lack of clubs at a decent level.

As for their football team they are L2 level at best and that's me being polite. Torquay always strike me growing up as having the potential to overtake them but through mismanagement there the collapse is in full flow.

No different to Gloucester Rugby, who have support across the county, not just Gloucester. You'll find adverts for Gloucester Rugby games in C********m, and other than Hartpury, who are just a uni side, you won't find any other rugby clubs as big as Plymouth Albion

Exeter are 14th in League One, and it's not the first time they've been at this level. On a side note, my great-grandad managed Plymouth United in the FA Cup, he was involved in the Devon FA too.

The Rugby have absolutely no bearing on how we do. Northampton and Exeter haven’t struggled with good rugby teams on their patch.

In fact the relationship in Northampton between the three sporting sides is quite excellent. It’s the same in Worcester with the cricket, football, basketball, netball and the rugby until last year. There’s no suggestion they compete with each other because they’re all playing for the same town or city. This city could learn a lot.

(07-02-2024, 11:13 PM)charlie Wrote:  The Rugby have absolutely no bearing on how we do. Northampton and Exeter haven’t struggled with good rugby teams on their patch.

In fact the relationship in Northampton between the three sporting sides is quite excellent. It’s the same in Worcester with the cricket, football, basketball, netball and the rugby until last year. There’s no suggestion they compete with each other because they’re all playing for the same town or city. This city could learn a lot.
But Exeter City have been a football league club since 1920, barring 5 years in the NL.  They’ve never been in the rugby club’s shadow in anything like the way GCAFC are in Gloucester Rugby’s.  And I presume the situation is similar with Northampton Town.  

There have been loads of comments on various threads on this forum acknowledging that even Gloucester locals don’t know we have a football team (or at least don’t know where it is). I doubt Exeter and Northampton have the same issue.  It’s right to have optimism that there could be a way of turning the situation around, but I think it’s a bit naive to draw a direct comparison, as the local context is really different.

(07-02-2024, 04:47 PM)RJS Wrote:  Going down, regrouping, coming up with a coherent strategy, getting some success on the pitch could actually be the catalyst the club needs to finally engaging the local support.  Equally could be a death sentence from which we never recover.

If we had gone down with Patrick still at the club I think we would have achieved this. Now we have chaos behind the scenes and Alex missing in action. Unless Alex goes away I just don't see how things are going to change and my fear now is we end up doing a Kettering.

(07-02-2024, 11:38 PM)TP1 Wrote:  But Exeter City have been a football league club since 1920, barring 5 years in the NL.  They’ve never been in the rugby club’s shadow in anything like the way GCAFC are in Gloucester Rugby’s.  And I presume the situation is similar with Northampton Town.  

There have been loads of comments on various threads on this forum acknowledging that even Gloucester locals don’t know we have a football team (or at least don’t know where it is). I doubt Exeter and Northampton have the same issue.  It’s right to have optimism that there could be a way of turning the situation around, but I think it’s a bit naive to draw a direct comparison, as the local context is really different.

It might not be a direct comparison, but it shows what is possible, with a fair bit of effort.

(07-02-2024, 11:13 PM)charlie Wrote:  The Rugby have absolutely no bearing on how we do. Northampton and Exeter haven’t struggled with good rugby teams on their patch.

They shouldn’t do, but somehow they do. Culturally it’s ingrained in people’s minds that football isn’t the done thing in Gloucester, despite the fact that those same people play football, have kids who play football, and watch it on the tv. When I think of Northampton and Exeter I don’t think ‘rugby’ but here we pretty much base our entire civic identity around it.

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”