Being topical

Coronavirus. Should the season be suspended?

And if so, all promotion/relegation stopped?  (start again next season)

Or, the current table standings be accepted as they are and teams relegated/promoted  as the table stands?

It's affecting football at European level and looking likely at higher levels here...

A gloomy but reasonable question!

Certainly possible given players and managers getting the virus that the season is voided and start again next season. Already taking about European 2020 being played in 2021.
Can't see games being played if some teams are self isolating aka Arsenal etc
Also could be suspended until May and finish the season in May-June......
Uncharted so any thing is possible.

(13-03-2020, 10:54 AM)Severnside Wrote:  Certainly possible given players and managers getting the virus that the season is voided and start again next season. Already taking about European 2020 being played in 2021.
Can't see games being played if some teams are self isolating aka Arsenal etc
Also could be suspended until May and finish the season in May-June......
Uncharted so any thing is possible.
My understanding of the projections is that May - June could well be the peak of the epidemic in the UK, so it's unlikely that football matches will be happening then at any level in view of today's decision to postpone all professional matches until at least April.

Cancel the season if only to stop Liverpool winning the league Wink

(13-03-2020, 04:57 PM)Neil Wrote:  Cancel the season if only to stop Liverpool winning the league Wink

That's what the conspiracy theorists will say, especially my son, who is a Red.

Personally speaking as a lifelong Toffee, I should be happy if that were to happen, but it's not really going to be fair, is it?

This will bring out the worst in football.

Whatever is done there will be club's seeking legal action to address a perceived injustice leading to a financial consequence. Even if you were to end the season by averaging current points against games, some would rightly say that they would likely get more points because they had an easier run in. It will show the modern game up as being a business and not a sport.

I reckon they'll postpone the Euros til next season, and the domestic will resume and run into the summer over that period. Followed by a shorter summer break but still late start to the 2021/22 season, with League Cup dropped.

But who really knows at this stage

10 out of 10 for footballing zen

Still no word on the England vs Italy friendly. I want a refund!

(13-03-2020, 07:23 PM)Neil Wrote:  Still no word on the England vs Italy friendly. I want a refund!
Pretty sure that it's been cancelled along with the Denmark gamd

woo hoo, didn't fancy two hits of buying tickets to go to there and C********m and not using them.

I did myself last year when I bought Sussex vs Glos T20 tickets then didn't bother going cos they decided to televise it. I've also done the RIAT at Fairford and also Truro City in the FA Vase final to experience the new Wembley.