City Women v Tuffley Rovers

I think I posted something after the WSM FA Cup match about it being one of the best games I've seen for a while.  Well, when it comes to excitement and entertainment this afternoons game at Tuffley will take some beating.  The final score after 90 minutes was an incredible 5-5. That though does not tell the whole story!  With the clock ticking away both sides had good chances to break the deadlock - eventually City got the breakthrough with Kate making it 5-4 on 90 minutes.  Surely game over - a match that saw the lead change over and over again.  But no, with only time left to take the kick off Tuffley score to make it 5-5 and so to penalties.

Bang - Charley gets us off to a flyer.  Zoe is next up and in the ball goes 2-1 to City.  Tuffley step up and hit the bar!  Next up is a new player to me (who impressed in the 90 mins) Lannece.  The Tuffley keeper got close but 3-1 City.  At 3 - 2 Chloe stepped up to the spot......she shot....the ball hit the bar, bounced down over the line but popped back out again.  4-2 to City but there were some unhappy Tuffley fans who believed the ball did not cross the line.  Tuffley stepped up to take their vital 4th and it went over the bar.

You'd be hard pushed to write the script of a football match with a more exciting finish.  Our team were clearly delighted with the win and celebrated in style. It must though have been a tough moment for the Tuffley team; loosing a shoot out is always a hard way to get knocked out of the cup.

Our goals in normal play were scored by Kate (2), Hannah (2),  and Lannece.  I believe the last two were making debuts for us and both impressed; Hannah's two finishes in particular took the eye.  We also had a debut keeper in Charlie (Charley - not sure of the spelling?) who played well also.  Not a bad debut for a keeper being on he right end of a penalty shoot out!

An excellent afternoon's football.