Jordan Young

(07-02-2022, 04:49 PM)RJS Wrote:  Personally I think its more that we aren't a good enough side right now to give players like Jordan a platform. If we were a better side and on top in more games I think we would have seen more from him, but the truth is he seemed crowded out and physically overpowered in the games he played for us this year.

Also we've gone direct a lot this year and that isn't going to suit him. 

So my personal take is that is the squad makeup/balance and style of play that hampered him as much as anything, rather than something more sinister, but that's obviously just an opinion from the outside looking in.

I am not surprised he has gone and is doing well, as I think a few of us said at the time that technically he was one of the better players at the club.

Agreed, he always looked like the kind of player who'd flourish in a winning team - and that we are not. Mind you, he was scoring goals like that for us when we first came along so lets see where he's at in 6 months.

If he was getting on the end of crosses or finishing great passing moves I’d agree. The fact is all the success he’s having is beating the keeper from 40 odd yards. He tried that plenty for us and they usually ended up in the carpark. I don’t really see how the players around him cause that difference.

Maybe he’s got new boots?!

Sticking around a while yet, thanks to a gift from a generous angel.

Something always sticks in my mind, probably from looking at loads of old news cuttings but when City were in a relegation dogfight back at Horton Road the manager at the time announced that Barrie Vassallo would remain in the bench because he was too much of a luxury for a relegation battle.

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20232024.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php

Having a look at his stats and his passing accuracy is down since he went to Chippenham. Only 46% of his actions on Saturday were successful and again he was having more success on that front when with us. Now obviously we were having plenty of the ball at home and were doing lots of nice passing which went nowhere which may be the reasons behind those figures, but just because he's scored a wonder goal it doesn't mean he's played well. All he did on Saturday was shoot from distance a lot and one of them managed to go in. As his xG shows most of the time he wouldn't have scored a goal in Saturday's game.

But at the end of the day, 1-0, Young.

We play well and lose 0-1.

We've scored twice in 7 games.

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20232024.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php

(07-02-2022, 11:21 PM)Neil Wrote:  But at the end of the day, 1-0, Young.

Exactly.

(07-02-2022, 11:21 PM)Neil Wrote:  But at the end of the day, 1-0, Young.

As the Romans would have said “Res ipsa loquitor” the facts speak for themselves.

Goals win games not xG, and the fact remains that since he left he has scored more goals on his own than our team has.

Also, isn't there an interpretation that would say that to score from a position with a low xG is actually an indicator of quality i.e. he is better at shooting that the average person xG is based on.  

Let's be frank we'd take a 70 yard clearance, which catches the wind and bounces over the keeper right now.  Screw xG.

(08-02-2022, 12:52 PM)RJS Wrote:  Goals win games not xG, and the fact remains that since he left he has scored more goals on his own than our team has.

Also, isn't there an interpretation that would say that to score from a position with a low xG is actually an indicator of quality i.e. he is better at shooting that the average person xG is based on.  

Let's be frank we'd take a 70 yard clearance, which catches the wind and bounces over the keeper right now.  Screw xG.

My point was all he is doing is taking loads of shots from distance and one happened to go in on Saturday. Of course we would take that but it shouldn’t be seen that he has all of a sudden improved or good chances are being created when that’s simply not true. He had to have 8 shots like that just to score the one and the other shots were mainly pretty poor.

(08-02-2022, 01:16 PM)Darran Wrote:  My point was all he is doing is taking loads of shots from distance and one happened to go in on Saturday. Of course we would take that but it shouldn’t be seen that he has all of a sudden improved or good chances are being created when that’s simply not true. He had to have 8 shots like that just to score the one and the other shots were mainly pretty poor.
I'd be more inclined to take the point, if that was the only goal he has scored since he has left.  Granted its currently a small sample size at present, and I think someone else mentioned lets see where he is in 6 months time, but currently I would be pretty happy with his return if I was a Chippenham fan.