Gateshead

(24-11-2020, 10:06 PM)Citygull Wrote:  What a shame...terrific gritty performance with 5 regulars out who between them have scored 20 of our 26 goals. Mensah superb, what an athlete. Let's hope we've got something left in the tank for Saturday. Please can we get a decent but bog standard goalkeeper who is a shot stopper and can command his area rather than act as a sweeper who prefers not to use his hands.

Also given the strikers out due to suspension and injury surely a question mark has to exit on Bailey-Nicholls if he isn't good enough to start tonight don't understand why he is kept on as we need better back up to Asante and McClure, Robert cant have been match fir but I guess needs must.
Anyhow time to regroup and hopefully get McClure fit again and Asante back after his suspension onwards we go on Saturday.

If we could have signed someone better don’t you think we would have? There’s a reason we have a very strong first XI and that’s because the rest of the squad is paper thin

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”

Full strength we would have won tonight as Gateshead are nothing special, but they did deserve the win really. First half we kept them quiet, but it was clear we were lacking in the final 3rd. It did show thought that the players were up for it as they pressed really well and forced Gateshead into mistakes. 2nd half Gateshead were much better and the game was reversed. The goal was a shocker although would have been nice to have seen a replay to try and work out what happened and if it was as bad as it looked first time around. We knew we were lacking in depth, but tonight really highlighted that fact. We could have played all night and not have scored which is like previous seasons.

Hopefully the new manager will have a bit of cash to spend with the compensation and the possible transfer fee of one of our players. We were going to lose eventually and at least there were sound reasons behind it. Nothing to worry about regarding our promotion bid just yet.

(24-11-2020, 11:53 PM)Darran Wrote:  Full strength we would have won tonight as Gateshead are nothing special, but they did deserve the win really. First half we kept them quiet, but it was clear we were lacking in the final 3rd. It did show thought that the players were up for it as they pressed really well and forced Gateshead into mistakes. 2nd half Gateshead were much better and the game was reversed. The goal was a shocker although would have been nice to have seen a replay to try and work out what happened and if it was as bad as it looked first time around. We knew we were lacking in depth, but tonight really highlighted that fact. We could have played all night and not have scored which is like previous seasons.

Hopefully the new manager will have a bit of cash to spend with the compensation and the possible transfer fee of one of our players. We were going to lose eventually and at least there were sound reasons behind it. Nothing to worry about regarding our promotion bid just yet.

The issue with a small squad as we have as the season plays on we will be in his position time and time again we know our best 11 is a match for any team in the NLN but lose players to injury and suspension and we will struggle. I hope Rowe doesn't raid this squad too much but surely Chesterfield aren't a moneybags club and we can demand the market rate - problem is keeping players who's head is turned performing as we all know so AP will ship them out but not for a pre season friendly!

The first defeat had to come at some point so better that it's out of the way now with all of this kerfuffle going on in the background. Let's hope it removes a bit of pressure from the team.

Having watched it they offered very little and we deserved a point ( we didn’t create much either ) . Not sure what happened with goal - reminiscent of Jas at FCUTD as it appeared to go straight thru the keeper. As Andrew R says we had to lose at one point better it be now. The reassuring thing is with a depleted side will competed very well with an in form side.

I know it would be easy to react to last night's game but trying not to, across the side at the moment, perhaps the keeper situation is one of the weaker parts of the team.
Yes every mistake they make could be a goal but there have been a number of them now.

(25-11-2020, 09:24 AM)Nigeglos Wrote:  I know it would be easy to react to last night's game but trying not to, across the side at the moment, perhaps the keeper situation is one of the weaker parts of the team.
Yes every mistake they make could be a goal but there have been a number of them now.
Yes, agree, certainly on the face of it. Having watched the Gateshead v Southport highlights I felt 2 of the goals were soft and think the keeper would have expected to save them, so I didn’t hold Gateshead in as high a regard as others, but I was conscious that either of our keepers currently appear to have at least one error per game in them. Shame really to lose our unbeaten run to an error.

What amazes me is that Gateshead fans thought they were superb last night and suddenly think they are in for an amazing season. It was a poor game won by a goal from a keeper mistake. I accept they deserved to win, but they were far from the best team I've seen us play this season.

yeah i thought they were poor in a game lacking quality

10 out of 10 for footballing zen