Another 3G pitch to be ripped up

Congratulations to Sutton United whose 3-0 victory over Hartlepool today confirmed they are National League champions and promoted to the EFL.
However, for the second consecutive season the Champions are required to rip up their existing artificial pitch, install grass (estimated cost £500K), face an ongoing annual loss of £200K from pitch hire fees and find suitable training facilities for their own teams. Or if not then face relegation to the NL South or North.
This is crazy. And could be something which could affect us as soon as 2023 after back to back promotions.
For once the FA is not to blame. They endorse the use of artificial pitches for their own competitions as do FIFA and UEFA.
It's a majority of dinosaur clubs in the EFL who continue to vote against allowing artificial pitches in Leagues 1 and 2 and they should be ashamed.

Why would it be ripped up? Harrogate got promoted and laid turf over the top of theirs.

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20232024.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php

Don't worry about it, we will own Gloucester RFC by then and will play our home games with the rugby club at Kingsholm and NMP will be our training ground,.

(24-05-2021, 10:46 AM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  Don't worry about it, we will own Gloucester RFC by then and will play our home games with the rugby club at Kingsholm and NMP will be our training ground,.
Now that sounds good to me. Specially if they still sell GL Cider (if it still exists).

I'm glad another 3g pitch will be gone and hopefully the EFL clubs will continue to vote against it. Getting 3 up and 3 down should be a much bigger priority.

So if we get a double promotion,Our 600k pitch becomes worthless?

It wouldn't matter to me ... the benefits of league football out weigh the issues around the pitch drama and costs.

AP

(25-05-2021, 06:01 PM)Alex Petheram Wrote:  It wouldn't matter to me ... the benefits of league football out weigh the issues around the pitch drama and costs.

AP

That is good to hear and Sutton is exactly the sort of club who provide hope for a side like ours. They have taken on the big boys and won.