C********m vs Man City

I would love us just to have 5% of their luck
from the last 20 years!

(11-01-2021, 10:35 PM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  I would love us just to have 5% of their luck
from the last 20 years!
So true, but when we get to play a premier league team I want our fans to be there.  Big Grin

The final day of the 1996/97 season certainly proved to be a pivotal moment. Fair play, they went to League One and FA Trophy win. Had FA Cup ties with Everton and Tottenham, made ground improvements to Whaddon Road.
I always wondered what would have happened if we had went up at the end of the 1996/97 season. Would we have been in exile being a National League or League Two club.

Andrew Adebowale, Hannah, Hoskins, Kirkup, Mainwaring, Tucker, Wollen.
 Danny ANDREW, Jake ANDREWS.

(11-01-2021, 11:06 PM)T-End is in sight Wrote:  So true, but when we get to play a premier league team I want our fans to be there.  Big Grin
That’s true about the fans but they will still make a nice tidy little sum!

(11-01-2021, 11:18 PM)Andrew B Wrote:  The final day of the 1996/97 season certainly proved to be a pivotal moment. Fair play, they went to League One and FA Trophy win. Had FA Cup ties with Everton and Tottenham, made ground improvements to Whaddon Road.
I always wondered what would have happened if we had went up at the end of the 1996/97 season. Would we have been in exile being a National League or League Two club.
I’ve always wondered aswell,at least we have more of a future now to possibly get within touching distance and hopefully one day experience that derby day once again.

(11-01-2021, 11:18 PM)Andrew B Wrote:  The final day of the 1996/97 season certainly proved to be a pivotal moment. Fair play, they went to League One and FA Trophy win. Had FA Cup ties with Everton and Tottenham, made ground improvements to Whaddon Road.

Given the team was built on money that didn't exist I think we would have gone out of business and we very nearly did anyway.

(11-01-2021, 10:35 PM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  I would love us just to have 5% of their luck
from the last 20 years!

I think it's a bit crass to say we've been lucky with some of our draws, we had to beat a League 1 team and another League 2 team to get to the 4th round.

Our other cup runs have been similar.  In 2002 we reached the 5th round by beating two non-league teams, then a team from the division above and then a team from two divisions above, only to get a Championship team in the 5th round.  In 2004 we had to beat teams in our division in the first two rounds before drawing Fulham, in 2006 when we eventually played Newcastle the run was Carlisle, Oxford then bloody Chester City (all League 2 as ourselves) before the big draw and in 2012 we had to be League 1 Tranmere and Conference Luton before getting Spurs away.

Our only "easy" run to a 3rd round plum tie was 12/13 when we beat Yate 3-0 in the first round before drawing Hereford in the 2nd round.  Even then, Hereford were our bogey team and it required extra-time in a replay to get past them before playing Everton.

Ultimately, we've had to work bloody hard for these draws and the players more than deserve it.  So I won't get to see Manchester City at Whaddon Road, I've already done that - my first ever Cheltenham game was against a Manchester City XI in August 1994 - we lost 3-2.

No one cares...Up The Citeh...

(11-01-2021, 11:06 PM)T-End is in sight Wrote:  So true, but when we get to play a premier league team I want our fans to be there.  Big Grin

It's not all it's cracked up to be - full of day-trippers and people who haven't been in years.  We sometimes get Gloucester City fans coming over as well, like we did when we played Leeds in 2007, and they weren't even a Premier League team at the time.

(12-01-2021, 10:14 AM)Ray Tango Wrote:  No one cares...Up The Citeh...
This

(12-01-2021, 10:14 AM)Si Robin Wrote:  It's not all it's cracked up to be - full of day-trippers and people who haven't been in years.  We sometimes get Gloucester City fans coming over as well, like we did when we played Leeds in 2007, and they weren't even a Premier League team at the time.

My experience exactly, what's the way to the ground mate, see those lights over there, that's where the ground is!

There are no strangers here, only friends you have not met yet!