F A Youth Cup

FA website shows we were given a walk over for this weeks game as our opponents withdrew from the competition.  So, per the FA site its home to Shortwood on 2/9 in next round

Fa cup and shortwood. Still painful after all this time .....

One of the lowest amongst many lows; funny how I can only remember the basement.

For example, the irrelevant and deceitful John Freegard last minute winner against Bromsgrove when those bastards Tamworth denied us Vauxhall Conference justice one cruel day in 1991.

Or Chris Townsend's away to Cardiff in round two of the 1990 FA Cup, after only having risen out of a wheelchair the day before, to put us 2 up, and then there were only six minutes to go. JUST SIX MINUTES!!!!! I cry as I type these words. At least the draw put us in the draw, where we landed a conditional away tie against the occasional might of QPR, who at that time were kidding themselves by being in the top division of English football.

Of course we were never given the opportunity to take our vigour any further, as almost predictably a YTS lad banged one in for Cardiff despite home dominance, and we ended up with both a smashed up ground, and an FA Cup exit.

There are also plenty of good times, but as I'm a miserable bastard your readers are going to have to remind me of some of them.

I remember you waxing lyrical over a last minute equaliser from a Gresley player that turned a 3-1 lead into a 3-3 draw.

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20232024.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php

There have been a few low points. Street away in the FA Cup, missed the start of the game, was caught up in a traffic jam on the M5. Was talking to Chris Burns and Keith Knight after the game, they were quite apologetic. 
 Remember getting beat by Bedworth United 7 - 1 at home. A learning curve for Chris Burn's young team. 
 The 1996/97 season, FA Trophy Semi Final Replay at Slough. 15 coaches of City supporters, the elation of going 1 - 0 up via David Holmes. The despair of Dale Watkins being Sent Off, and losing 2  - 1. (Just a side note, IF WE HAD MADE THE FINAL, would Dale have been suspended)? Never know when Match Bans come through. Then the last league game of the season, at home to Salisbury City. Going 1 - 0 up, then go onto lose 3 - 1, thus being denied a place in the Vauxhall Conference.
 Like previously mentioned, just as many happy memories, if not more.

Andrew Adebowale, Hannah, Hoskins, Kirkup, Mainwaring, Tucker, Wollen.
 Danny ANDREW, Jake ANDREWS.

(24-08-2022, 11:55 PM)SHANDY LOVE MACHINE Wrote:  One of the lowest amongst many lows; funny how I can only remember the basement.

For example, the irrelevant and deceitful John Freegard last minute winner against Bromsgrove when those bastards Tamworth denied us Vauxhall Conference justice one cruel day in 1991.

Or Chris Townsend's away to Cardiff in round two of the 1990 FA Cup, after only having risen out of a wheelchair the day before, to put us 2 up, and then there were only six minutes to go. JUST SIX MINUTES!!!!! I cry as I type these words. At least the draw put us in the draw, where we landed a conditional away tie against the occasional might of QPR, who at that time were kidding themselves by being in the top division of English football.

Of course we were never given the opportunity to take our vigour any further, as almost predictably a YTS lad banged one in for Cardiff despite home dominance, and we ended up with both a smashed up ground, and an FA Cup exit.

There are also plenty of good times, but as I'm a miserable bastard your readers are going to have to remind me of some of them.

Join the cubs in the club with in a clubs club club Shandy I'm sure our  members will be able to remind you of all the bad time's

(25-08-2022, 08:49 AM)Andrew B Wrote:   The 1996/97 season, FA Trophy Semi Final Replay at Slough. 15 coaches of City supporters, the elation of going 1 - 0 up via David Holmes. The despair of Dale Watkins being Sent Off, and losing 2  - 1. (Just a side note, IF WE HAD MADE THE FINAL, would Dale have been suspended)? Never know when Match Bans come through. Then the last league game of the season, at home to Salisbury City. Going 1 - 0 up, then go onto lose 3 - 1, thus being denied a place in the Vauxhall Conference.
 Like previously mentioned, just as many happy memories, if not more.

That season really sums up why I call us the 'nearly' club. Nearly got to the Trophy Final, nearly promoted to the Conference, and previously nearly got to the Third Round of the FA Cup etc.

These days we seem to be lucky if we get to the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

ANd then the annoying thing is that there was a club nearby who weren't the nearly club, they could fall in a vat of **** and come out smelling of roses

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20232024.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php

It's odd really as often your brain seems to hide some bad things. As a kid there was plenty of sun on holiday and massive snow falls in the winter.
Yet the hurt from football seems to stay with you long after the event. It must be the equivalent of a truly traumatic event, wonder where it ranks in the bad things table.
Why doesn't it disappear? Away at Salisbury at their old ground, 3 up ten mins to go, they score 3 and hit the bar. Drew 3 all. We went back there and win 4-0, burnsey scores from the half way line. But it hasn't cured it. Would we need to win 30-0 every time we played them to banish it, not sure even then it would

I was at a few of those debacles. Shortwood, Street, Christchurch, etc. But for some reason, the one that sticks in my mind as the most painful, was Eastleigh way in the FA Cup. 2-0 up against a team from the league above with 10 minutes to go, lose 3-2. Brutal.