On this Day 1997 - 31st March

(05-04-2020, 12:08 PM)SHANDY LOVE MACHINE Wrote:  To be fair I have no idea whether or not the dreams were achievable (although Bentham shows what a money maker the artificial pitches were/are) , after being a die hard fan up to 1992 I watched City very infrequently as I was travelling round the world myself and playing football during the 1990s. When I got my Saturdays back in the early naughties the club was unrecognisable from that I'd seen such a short time before.
Is Bentham still going? I heard a rumour a fair few years back it was about to close.
The pitch at the new MP would be able to have 4 games on it at a time as it’s that big,minimum 2.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tigerimage...058391890/

Just looking back through the 90's and I prefer the memory from 1994 when we won 1-0 at Whaddon. Dave Porter destroyed them. He set up Baylo early doors for a header to put us one up then they kicked the **** out of him, he won a penalty which Baylo put over the bar and is still to this day being tracked by NASA. Porter got injured and was hardly seen again.

Does anyone else remember him as fondly as I do? He hardly ever played for us but was a cut above. I got the feeling he lived in Surrey somewhere, we'd signed him from Swindon Supermarine.

(04-04-2020, 07:49 AM)Andrew B Wrote:  Looking on The Robins Nest Forum, came across an article from Gloucestershire live about C********m Town 1 - Gloucester City 1. The last league fixture between the two sides, the article has photographs from the game. A crowd of over 3000, I was stood behind the goal and Dave Webb opening the scoring for us. A 20 man brawl accured during the game, and Dale Watkins missed Kick Off due to being stuck in traffic coming from Peterborough. (Forgot about that). What struck me is the amount of players that have played for the Robins and the Tigers involved in that game :- Keith Knight, Mark Freeman, Paul Chenoweth, Chris Burns, Simon Cooper, Andy Tucker, Dale Watkins.(Think there may be one or two more). Hopefully, one day, we can continue playing each other on equal terms.

This was actually March 31st 1997!

(05-04-2020, 03:18 PM)Neil Wrote:  Just looking back through the 90's and I prefer the memory from 1994 when we won 1-0 at Whaddon. Dave Porter destroyed them. He set up Baylo early doors for a header to put us one up then they kicked the **** out of him, he won a penalty which Baylo put over the bar and is still to this day being tracked by NASA. Porter got injured and was hardly seen again.

Does anyone else remember him as fondly as I do? He hardly ever played for us but was a cut above. I got the feeling he lived in Surrey somewhere, we'd signed him from Swindon Supermarine.

(04-04-2020, 07:49 AM)Andrew B Wrote:  Looking on The Robins Nest Forum, came across an article from Gloucestershire live about C********m Town 1 - Gloucester City 1. The last league fixture between the two sides, the article has photographs from the game. A crowd of over 3000, I was stood behind the goal and Dave Webb opening the scoring for us. A 20 man brawl accured during the game, and Dale Watkins missed Kick Off due to being stuck in traffic coming from Peterborough. (Forgot about that). What struck me is the amount of players that have played for the Robins and the Tigers involved in that game :- Keith Knight, Mark Freeman, Paul Chenoweth, Chris Burns, Simon Cooper, Andy Tucker, Dale Watkins.(Think there may be one or two more). Hopefully, one day, we can continue playing each other on equal terms.

This was actually March 31st 1997!

that was a fantastic victory. We stopped the scum from going up was born on that day

Neil, I’m a big fan of your archive

According to the Bible (as written by The Cleric), Dave Porter made only six appearances for City (plus 1 Sub) in the 1993-94 season, scoring twice. He's listed as having also played for Swindon Supermarine and Sutton United.

It's a great shame that this sort of info is no longer available on line following the demise of Tiger Roar.

Me too. A life's work, making sure that our history is never forgotten.

You can't put a price on that effort

10 out of 10 for footballing zen

(05-04-2020, 05:38 PM)OldDirtyGlasses Wrote:  Neil, I’m a big fan of your archive

Thanks. If I was paid £10 p/h by the club for all the work it took me to do that then the club would've been bankrupted. Rob Kujawa had 13 ring binders full, if you stood them on top of each other they were taller than me. I scanned every single cutting, then edited them and even tried to repair some that had bits missing. I like when people show their appreciation.

(05-04-2020, 05:54 PM)drbob Wrote:  According to the Bible (as written by The Cleric), Dave Porter made only six appearances for City (plus 1 Sub) in the 1993-94 season, scoring twice. He's listed as having also played for Swindon Supermarine and Sutton United.

It's a great shame that this sort of info is no longer available on line following the demise of Tiger Roar.

It's still actually there, the cache I guess, not sure how these things work. I might pay for a little bit of webspace just to keep the archive online when it disappears.

Regarding Dave Porter, I sent Hughesey a DM on twitter asking about him; he said he couldn't remember him at all!

Well I appreciate it Neil, and thanks Rob K and other unnamed brains and memories.
I think a plaque would be a nice touch, for all those who have continued the ‘corporate’ memory of GCAFC through the hard times and the good.
I’m sure some tech savvy soul can do a crowdfunding thing for that.

My memory of Dave Porter coincides with yours Neil. He was especially hard-working and a constant threat. Re Tiger Roar I’m glad to read what’s being said. It’s our library