Opening Day Fixtures.

(08-08-2020, 07:29 PM)OldDirtyGlasses Wrote:  Hahaha, was it that one from Eastenders? Ian Beale’s mum?
Nah it wasn’t Kathy

(08-08-2020, 05:29 PM)Citygull Wrote:  The Concord match . Or rather getting stuck on the A38 at Longford for over an hour and missing the fun bus. By all accounts a pretty dire performance that day (0-2) so maybe the traffic jam was the lesser of two evils.

Not sure we even managed a shot that day. Still the fish and chips by the sea were tasty.

That set the tone for the season, a whole pre-season just to not show up at the opening game. What was the point.
Video 

(08-08-2020, 06:57 PM)Neil Wrote:  Thumping Chelmsford 5-0 at Meadow Park under John Murphy. They fancied themselves.

And winning 3-0 away at Ashford the following season. That was a long trip, hot day too and it was videoed!
In the 1994/95 season, we beat VS Rugby 3-0 at Meadow Park in John Murphy's first season in charge. (This was my first full season watching GCAFC). What struck me is that we started this league season in invincible form. Our first league defeat was at Home to Worcester City on 5th November 1994. Losing 2-1. Remember Hednesford Town winning the league, we must have been pretty close to them before the Worcester game. Just before the Worcester game, we had 6 Cup games in a row. This was FA Cup, FA Trophy, League Cup and County Cup.

Andrew Adebowale, Hannah, Hoskins, Kirkup, Mainwaring, Tucker, Wollen.
 Danny ANDREW, Jake ANDREWS.

(08-08-2020, 05:29 PM)Citygull Wrote:  The Concord match . Or rather getting stuck on the A38 at Longford for over an hour and missing the fun bus. By all accounts a pretty dire performance that day (0-2) so maybe the traffic jam was the lesser of two evils.

We were only lucky enough to miss the first 20 minutes with the fun bus being delayed in traffic

(08-08-2020, 03:30 PM)Andrew B Wrote:  Under normal circumstances, we could may well have played our Opening Day Fixture. Last season, our first league game was played 3rd August 2019 away to Blyth Spartans. It was a good day going up on the coach. (Away Day Supporters Coach Travel seems a long distant memory at the moment). I noticed that since we have been in the National league North / South, we have had TWO Home Opening Day games. We have had first games at this level away to Southport, Workington, Vauxhall Motors, Chelmsford City, Concord Rangers, North Ferriby United, Blyth Spartans etc. 
   I missed the game at Meadow Park Vs Kings Lynn where Matt Bath scored. Went to Southport away on the coach, first National league North game we had played. Was going through the turnstile as we went 1-0 up. Maybe have the chance of having Opening Day game at New Meadow Park? Do you have any memorable Opening Day Fixtures?
I remember both MB scoring the first goal of the season at MP and the first goal we scored in the NLN at Southport (I got there on the team coach as I was still Club Doc then), but we were soon brought back down to earth by a good Southport team.

I thought that the goals that Southport scored were quite soft. Annoying that we were quite tentative against unfamiliar opposition but then went to Corby, played with unbridled familiarity and smashed six goals past them.

(09-08-2020, 12:20 PM)Neil Wrote:  I thought that the goals that Southport scored were quite soft. Annoying that we were quite tentative against unfamiliar opposition but then went to Corby, played with unbridled  familiarity and smashed six goals past them.

That was the effect of Syko and Webby coming back into the team

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”