Hanksy

(18-05-2020, 05:52 PM)Kengreen Wrote:  Darren how can you say Hanks was the best midfielder in our league did you watch him play this season, we all know he is a good player but you have got to watch players to make statements like that. He did have a good start to the season scoring some nice goals but they dried up and he then looked  pretty ordinary at times but if you  don't come to games you wouldn't know that.
Just quoting our twitter post from a couple of days before it was announced he was leaving. Just because I’m not at games doesn’t mean I don’t pay close attention. You do know I make a good 2nd living from betting on non league football. Even then though I wouldn’t want to say who the best midfielder in the league was. You would have to watch every match in the league to come up with that and you don’t even watch every Gloucester game as you don’t do away games.

(18-05-2020, 05:52 PM)Kengreen Wrote:  Darren how can you say Hanks was the best midfielder in our league did you watch him play this season, we all know he is a good player but you have got to watch players to make statements like that. He did have a good start to the season scoring some nice goals but they dried up and he then looked  pretty ordinary at times but if you  don't come to games you wouldn't know that.
He made an educated guess.

Without knowing all the ins and outs and getting into a slanging match with anyone...personally I thought the “boost the budget” campaign would come in handy for situations like this, if it was to do with a few more quid?

I imagine it was more a case of thinking that the money could be better spent elsewhere. Plus the general state of uncertainty that may well mean there will be bargains yet to be had (or of course last minute scrambling pushing wages back up!). As for midfielders it's such a wide ranging role it's pretty hard to compare individuals, it's the collective that counts. But for what it's worth two of the best I saw last season were Rob Ramshaw - out and out attacking midfielder for Spennymoor - and Southport's unpleasant but supremely effective David Morgan.

(18-05-2020, 12:55 PM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  The interviewer was Marc Mcgregorhe must work as a journalist away from football.

He's an area manager for Carlsberg! 

Sticking around a while yet, thanks to a gift from a generous angel.

Joe did well for us, in many stints. Scored goals, covered km’s all over the pitch, played in lots of positions, contributed hugely. But his career is with the police, he missed training on some occasions (his own words) and was burning the candle both ends. If we are moving to a more full time model, perhaps the time demanded of him by the club was just too much and he couldn’t commit fully, perhaps Cookie Monster was happy for Joe to have more flexibility than we were willing to offer going forward.
He’s gone now, we move on and look forward to new signings and a new season.

(18-05-2020, 07:03 PM)OldDirtyGlasses Wrote:  Joe did well for us, in many stints. Scored goals, covered km’s all over the pitch, played in lots of positions, contributed hugely. But his career is with the police, he missed training on some occasions (his own words) and was burning the candle both ends. If we are moving to a more full time model, perhaps the time demanded of him by the club was just too much and he couldn’t commit fully, perhaps Cookie Monster was happy for Joe to have more flexibility than we were willing to offer going forward.
He’s gone now, we move on and look forward to new signings and a new season.

The last sentence is spot on..

(18-05-2020, 06:17 PM)Prorsum Semper Wrote:  He made an educated guess.

As I have said I was using the words our official Twitter account used just a couple of days before he left

I really enjoyed watching Joe play for us over the past few seasons.
Being involved with the club as i run the social media accounts i got to know Hanksy well and he was a top bloke and would always take time to talk to me.
I was gutted to see him go but i wish him every success at Chippenham.
We must now move on and get behind the club as we return to Meadow Park.