Club Statement

(24-08-2022, 08:15 AM)GME Wrote:  speaking with AP a few weeks ago he is still very focussed on GCFC and still has larger plans for the club. He always said when he got involved he wanted someone to run the club on a day to day basis. obviously it is now time for this, i have no worries about GCFC, it will possibly be better with Jay working full time on bothe basket ball and the football. Remember Alex and Eamon have some large companies to run and without their profits there would be no NMP.

I totally accept that they both have large companies to run. That wasn’t what I was getting at. Imo AP is the type of person who needs to be involved in on-going projects. When he feels that that these projects no longer require his involvement he needs to move onto another one. Nothing wrong in that. Just hoping all his future projects-outside of his company obviously-involve the football club!!!

(23-08-2022, 11:02 PM)Darran Wrote:  I was never a fan of the Gloucester Sport brand and still not. Couldn't care less about the basketball and all I want is City to do well so I just wish all the focus was actually on the football team.
Possibly, not the best example right now, but it hasn't historically hurt the Barcelonas of this world.  I think if done correctly you can achieve greater leverage.  Would we be able to employ the three people mentioned in the statement if we were simply a football club for example.

Ultimately though its Alex's (and to a lesser extent Eammon's?) vision, we can disagree with it, but if we don't have the money to invest like he has done then its all a bit moot.

I have no interest in the basketball personally, but I also haven't felt like at any point that the Gloucester Sport brand has stopped us achieving stuff off the pitch as a football club.  We still moved home, we are brining in more sponsors than ever etc.  Add to that the City JNRS stuff as well.  

I doubt any of us would be bothered by the basketball and other stuff, if we were getting results on the pitch, and that isn't Alex's job as such anyway.

Broadly.. I like the track the club is on and feel it will take off soon.

Like others above I'm not too bothered about basketball, but would not turn my nose up at successful sporting teams carrying the city's name into the future.

Perhaps EMG and AP have found an opportunity to forge a sporting legacy in the city. Would an indoor sporting arena next to TigerTurf Stadium be out of the question? ;-)

(24-08-2022, 01:17 PM)Wilesy Wrote:  Broadly.. I like the track the club is on and feel it will take off soon.

Like others above I'm not too bothered about basketball, but would not turn my nose up at successful sporting teams carrying the city's name into the future.

Perhaps EMG and AP have found an opportunity to forge a sporting legacy in the city. Would an indoor sporting arena next to TigerTurf Stadium be out of the question? ;-)

Assuming they're trying to copy the Bristol Sport model, then an indoor arena next to Meadow Park would be the logical next step. Build it behind the scoreboard side and incorporate a new stand in it. Hire it out as a multi-sport arena, use it for concerts (depending on capacity) and include some hospitality units in there that could be used for spectators of either sport. Plus hire it out for weddings / conferences and other events. Just the small matter of funding it, although when you're in the building trade you've already cut your costs significantly. 

I think the whole restructure is a positive move. Shows we are growing. AP gets some stick - some deserved, much of it not - but deserves huge credit for getting the club back to the City, getting his hands dirty and pushing us forward.

I agree Kingsway Casual especially with your last paragraph- stick from many who are keyboard warriors only.

(24-08-2022, 03:01 PM)Kingsway Casual Wrote:  I think the whole restructure is a positive move. Shows we are growing. AP gets some stick - some deserved, much of it not - but deserves huge credit for getting the club back to the City, getting his hands dirty and pushing us forward.
This is the point isn't it.  I am sure we all have our own opinions on decisions AP has made in recent years, but I don't think anyone can doubt that his intentions are to try and better the club.

(24-08-2022, 03:01 PM)Kingsway Casual Wrote:  Assuming they're trying to copy the Bristol Sport model, then an indoor arena next to Meadow Park would be the logical next step. Build it behind the scoreboard side and incorporate a new stand in it. Hire it out as a multi-sport arena, use it for concerts (depending on capacity) and include some hospitality units in there that could be used for spectators of either sport. Plus hire it out for weddings / conferences and other events. Just the small matter of funding it, although when you're in the building trade you've already cut your costs significantly. 

I think the whole restructure is a positive move. Shows we are growing. AP gets some stick - some deserved, much of it not - but deserves huge credit for getting the club back to the City, getting his hands dirty and pushing us forward.

The whole area would need a hell of a lot of work if you were to build an area next to the ground. I'd actually like to see improvements made to the actual ground first though before anything else was done.

(24-08-2022, 11:35 PM)Darran Wrote:  The whole area would need a hell of a lot of work if you were to build an area next to the ground. I'd actually like to see improvements made to the actual ground first though before anything else was done.

Not to mention it’s a Flood Bund, isn’t it?!

Sticking around a while yet, thanks to a gift from a generous angel.

Ain’t no one ever building on the abyss

“There’s a mole. Right at the top of the circus. He’s been there for years.”

Alex said in the Severn Sport interview that 'there’s an awful lot of fans who don’t want me here and they’ve made that point pretty public...'

Seemed a strange thing to say to me and it's sad that he feels that way. Alex has made decisions that have sometimes been unpopular, like sacking Mike Cook or changing the colours of the kit, and fans naturally have had their say on those things.

But even if you strongly disagreed with him it still feels like the majority of fans are thankful for all he has done and are glad that he is still here and actively involved in running the club.